When I was a kid I thought your 20s were supposed to be fun, not filled with perpetual anxiety about financial stability and constantly feeling like an unaccomplished piece of shit.
That’s because it was fun for baby boomers and they basically gave us this impression it would always be like that, but then they ruined the economy.
The Texas government has resolved to spend over $17 million a month (from funding for social services) on further militarizing the border with National Guard members, Department of Public Safety officers, and other local and state law enforcement officers.
Politicians at all levels have exploited the current humanitarian crisis on the border for their own interests by resorting to racist tactics, such as spreading fears of disease (a claim that has been disputed). These are tactics used to dehumanize a desperate group of people fleeing problems entirely out of their control in order to further propagate an agenda. The agenda in question being the overt militarization of the U.S./Mexico border.
No amount of militarization will ever bring about the end of undocumented immigration because it’s a much more complicated issue than that. The further militarization and the recent presence of armed militias will not resolve the history of and current policies and warmongering the United States has used in Latin America to exploit its people and resources, leading to the current disarray that is often blamed on the people of Latin America.
Feel like you have something to say?
Here’s some contact information:
- Governor Rick Perry on Facebook
- Governor Rick Perry on Twitter
- Office of the Governor of Texas on Facebook
- Office of the Governor website
Office of the Governor
P.O. Box 12428
Austin, Texas 78711-2428
Office of the Governor
State Insurance Building
1100 San Jacinto
Austin, Texas 78701
Telephone & Fax
- Information and Referral Hotline [for Texas callers]: (800) 843-5789
- Information and Referral and Opinion Hotline [for Austin, Texas and out-of-state callers]:(512) 463-1782
- Office of the Governor Main Switchboard [office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST]: (512) 463-2000
- If you are using a telecommunication device for the deaf (TDD), call 711 to reach Relay Texas
- Office of the Governor Fax: (512) 463-1849
DON’T STOP THERE.
Organize locally using social media, word of mouth, whatever you have at your disposal.
We can make a change through collective effort!
RELATED STORIES AND SOURCES:
- Debunking 8 Myths About Why Central American Children Are Migrating
- Texas Governor Rick Perry Accused of ‘Militarizing’ the Border by Sending 1,000 Troops
- Disease Threat From Immigrant Children Wildly Overstated
- Masked, armed militias patrolling Texas side of border draw scrutiny
- Armed Fascist Militias Amassing Along Texas Border With State Lawmaker’s Blessing
Hedy Epstein, a 90-year-old Holocaust survivor was arrested on Monday during unrest in Ferguson Epstein, who aided Allied forces in the Nuremberg trials, was placed under arrest “for failing to disperse.” 8 others were also arrested.
"I’ve been doing this since I was a teenager. I didn’t think I would have to do it when I was ninety," Epstein told The Nation during her arrest. “We need to stand up today so that people won’t have to do this when they’re ninety.” Epstein is currently an activist and a vocal supporter of the Free Gaza Movement.
I keep seeing white liberals on social media posting that they can’t believe what is happening in Ferguson, or that they can’t believe this is happening in America. Now I normally wouldn’t care enough about any of that to make any commentary, but they are sending me messages, outraged…
TransCanada’s proposed 2,858-mile Energy East pipeline, which would carry 1.1 million barrels of crude oil across Canada daily, would traverse at least 90 watersheds and 961 waterways between Alberta and New Brunswick — including some protected by Indigenous treaty rights — raising the prospect of a devastating spill, warns a new